Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Faithfulness

Father's Faithfulness

In Luke chapter 16 and verse 10, Jesus said, "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.".  So ... be faithful in the small things, even things that seem humiliating.

When I was in college, my dad was in grad school.  He and Mom had many jobs to make ends meet.  I remember for one job, dad worked the graveyard shift.  I also remember that I was impressed with his assignment.  But later I learned that he dreaded it.  But he did it.

One night, I was home from school, I went out to the site to hang out with Dad for a while.   I remember very little of what we said, but I remember the time.  I especially remember how proud I was of him.

My parents grew up in church.  As is typical in our culture, they didn't "get it".  Then a friend introduced them to another friend who took the time to explain the Gospel, they were sinners, apart from God, and needed redemption.  When they understood, they believed!  They wanted my sister and me to understand too.  We did (I took longer), and we also believed!  They shared this revelation with friends and family, even employees.  My dad and his business partner (also a believer) got so active sharing Christ with colleagues and clients that Dad considered getting formally into ministry.  That's how he wound up in grad school: seminary.

After graduating, Dad held a number of ministerial jobs, including pastoring the church where my wife's family attended.  That's how we met.  My dad's faithfulness in small things led to bigger things and eventually blessed me in a really big way.

So there we were, visiting briefly at his late night / early morning job.  Later I learned how insignificant he felt in that place.  I was shocked, because I was so impressed, and I let him know.

Thanks, Dad, for sticking with it.
The time will come when your Heavenly Father will say "well done".

-- R; <><



No comments:

Post a Comment